Anju artwork from Majora's Mask
|Title(s)|| Cucco Lady (OoT, TMC)|
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
The Minish Cap
|Non-canon Appearances|| Majora's Mask manga|
The Minish Cap manga
|Era|| Force Era|
Era of the Hero of Time
|Family|| Ocarina of Time:|
Carpenter's Boss (father)
Young Punk Guy (brother)
Gampy (deceased grandfather)
Tortus (deceased father)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, she is referred to as the Cucco Lady. She can be found in Kakariko Village, where she raises and tends to her Cuccos. The Cucco Lady is allergic to Cuccos, so she has a hard time taking care of them and keeping them inside the pen. When Link first meets her, the Cuccos will be running around all over the village. As the Cucco Lady cannot do it herself, she asks Link to round them up and bring them back to their pen. For Link's help, she will reward him with a Bottle.
When Link returns to Kakariko Village as an adult, he can speak to the Cucco Lady to begin the Biggoron's Sword quest. She will tell him that she bred a special new type of miniature Cucco that does not give her an allergic reaction. She then gives him the Pocket Egg which he must carry until it hatches. After the egg hatches, Link must use it to wake up Talon, and then return the new Cucco to the Cucco Lady. She will then give Link her brother's blue Cucco, Cojiro.
Anju is the Carpenters' Boss's daughter.
In Majora's Mask, Anju is the inn keeper at the Stock Pot Inn and the best friend of Cremia, the owner of Romani Ranch. She is engaged to Kafei, Mayor Dotour's son, and they plan to have their wedding on the day of the Carnival of Time. However, certain circumstances have caused Anju to start doubting her fiancé. Although her father, Tortus, has passed away, her mother and grandmother live with her in the inn. She is one of the characters in the game with an entry in the Bombers' Notebook.
Anju is portrayed as apologizing quite often and appears somewhat nervous. She is not very good at cooking and, according to Kafei's Diary, tends to leave things until the last minute. She also seems to have trouble remembering customers' faces, which can cause her to deliver reservations to the wrong person.
Reuniting Kafei and Anju
- Main article: Reuniting Kafei and Anju
The Anju and Kafei sidequest is the only sidequest in the Bombers' Notebook that takes an entire 3-day cycle. When they were children, Anju and Kafei promised to marry each other on the day of the Carnival of Time, exchanging the Sun and Moon's Masks during the event. However, Kafei disappeared with his wedding ceremony mask one month before the wedding. After he was turned into a child by the Skull Kid, his Sun Mask was stolen by Sakon as he was on his way to see the Great Fairy about his desperate situation. Despite Kafei's terrible fate, Anju does not know what has become of him or why he disappeared. She is afraid to meet his fiance and hear the reason as to why he escaped, for she fears his disappearance might have been because of her.
Anju's Mother puts ideas into Anju's head that her fiancé might have run off with her best friend Cremia, who actually has a crush on Kafei. Since Cremia needs strength from a partner and business support from Kafei's mother Madame Aroma to run Romani Ranch, Kafei running off with the ranch owner would allow her to have the stability she needs.
When Link intervenes to help reunite Kafei and Anju, the young hero meets with the inn keeper in the kitchen at her request. She then asks him to deliver a letter to the Mailbox in her stead, hoping to get a description of her fiancé if Link is to meet with him. Anju is too afraid to do this on her own, so she tells Link to pass on the message that Anju is waiting for him.
Link meets Kafei, who explains his situation and hands over his pendant to him. Once Link delivers the pendant to Anju, she will once again believe in Kafei and decides to wait for his return despite her mother's wishes and the fact that everyone else will be taking refuge in Romani Ranch.
On the night of the Final Day, with just a few hours left until the Moon falls, Anju is desperately waiting for Kafei in her room. The two lovers at last reunite and exchange their masks and oaths when Kafei returns from having retrieved the Sun Mask that was stolen from him. In return for witnessing this event, they grant Link the Couple's Mask. Even though the Moon is just hours from destroying Termina, they urge Link to take refuge, for they will stay and greet the morning together.
|Dawn of the First Day|
|6:00 AM||Stock Pot Inn||Stands at front desk.||—|
|8:00 AM||Stock Pot Inn||Unlocks the front door.||—|
|10:55 AM||Stock Pot Inn||Leaves the desk to prepare lunch.||—|
|11:30 AM||Stock Pot Inn||Leaves the kitchen to deliver Granny's lunch.||—|
|12:00 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Argues with Granny over her refusal to eat.||—|
|12:15 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Leaves Granny after being unable to convince her to eat.||—|
|12:50 PM||Employees Only Room||Takes food to the Employees Only room.||—|
|1:15 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Leaves the Employees Only room to return to the front desk.||—|
|2:10 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Receives Kafei's Letter from the Postman.||—|
|2:20 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Arranges to meet with Link at 11:30 PM that evening.||If Link speaks to her while wearing Kafei's Mask.|
|Night of the First Day|
|7:50 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Walks to the front door.||—|
|8:30 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Locks the front door.||—|
|9:00 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Returns to the Employees Only room.||—|
|11:30 PM||Stock Pot Inn||Leaves Employees Only room to speak with Link in the Kitchen.||If Link agrees to meet with her.|
|12:00 AM||Stock Pot Inn||Asks Link to deliver her Letter to Kafei.||If Link agrees to meet with her.|
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Link must collect Anju's Cuccos within a certain time limit in Hyrule Town. If he does so, Anju will reward him with Rupees and either Mysterious Shells or Kinstone pieces. The next time Link talks to her, Anju will make the challenge more difficult by changing the number of Cuccos needed, their distance from the pen, and the time available to catch them. Once Link completes the challenge nine times, she will give him a Piece of Heart.
|Anju (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||This young woman tends to her cuccos in Hyrule Town. If you help her gather her loose cuccos, she’ll give you a reward.|
|1||3||25||30||10 Mysterious Shells|
|2||4||30||40||20 Mysterious Shells|
|3||5||45||90||20 Mysterious Shells|
|4||5||50||50||30 Mysterious Shells|
|5||5||45||90||30 Mysterious Shells|
|9||3||55||110||Piece of Heart|
- A Gossip Stone in Ocarina of Time refers to her as the "Chicken Lady," although the proper name of a "chicken" in the Zelda series is Cucco. This mistake was fixed in Ocarina of Time 3D.
- According to a Gossip stone in Ocarina of Time, the Cucco Lady goes to the Lakeside Laboratory to study how to breed pocket-sized Cuccos.
|Names in Other Regions|
|English|| Anju (MM)|
- "It might be early, but I finished my wedding mask. I wonder if Anju has made hers? She tends to do things at the last minute, so probably not." — Kafei (Majora's Mask)
- "They say that the Cucco Lady goes to the Lakeside Laboratory to study how to breed pocket-sized Cuccos." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Maybe I should go hide in the cucco lady's house... It might be dangerous, though. It seems like there's danger everywhere." — Minish (The Minish Cap)
- "Thank you for finding my Cuccos. I have allergies, so I get goose bumps when I touch them." — Cucco Lady (Ocarina of Time)
- "For helping me, I will give this to you. It's fine glass, and should be useful. Please take good care of it!" — Cucco Lady (Ocarina of Time)
- "I bred a new type of miniature Cucco! I call it the Pocket Cucco! I don't get goose bumps from this baby." — Cucco Lady (Ocarina of Time)
- "Cremia will take us in. She is your best friend, right?" — Anju's Mother (Majora's Mask)
- "I wonder if Kafei is really at Cremia's place..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Grandmother...I am Anju! Tortus was my dad..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "What is Anju, the innkeeper, bad at doing? Cooking" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "My mother is always telling me to remember our customer's faces, but I tend to forget them..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "We promised each other when we were children that we'd marry on the day of the Carnival of Time." — Kafei (Majora's Mask)
- "I was turned into this by a strange imp wearing a mask..." — Kafei (Majora's Mask)
- "When I was turned into this, I went to see the Great Fairy in the shrine near the North Gate... But on the way, my precious mask--a wedding ceremony mask--was stolen from me by some prancing man with a grinning face!" — Kafei (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm...actually...afraid to meet him...and to hear the reason why he wanted to disappear... It might be because of... me..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Romani knows... My sister, Cremia, has someone in town she likes... But that person is supposed to get married the day of the carnival. It's hard for my sister... Going into town..." — Romani (Majora's Mask)
- "Besides, think about Cremia. She needs strength from a partner and business support from Madame Aroma. If Kafei really has run off with Cremia, she'll get both." — Anju's Mother (Majora's Mask)
- "Tonight at 11:30, please come to our kitchen. We'll talk then..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Here is my letter. Please put this in a postbox. When this is delivered...When he receives my letter... You should be able to meet him!" — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Please tell him that Anju is waiting for him. And please, after you've seen him... Tell me how he looked. I'm scared...I...I can't go." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "This pendant... Give it to Anju." — Kafei (Majora's Mask)
- "I have decided to wait for him. I've made my promise... I'm fine with this. I believe him." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Let us exchange the promised masks. We have exchanged our oaths and have become a couple." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "You are our witnesses. Please accept this mask." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Please take refuge. We are fine here. We shall greet the morning... together." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "That fairy told me to come." (Majora's Mask manga (VIZ Media), pg. )
- "Wha-? A bug? I love bugs! And I'm hungry!" (The Minish Cap manga (VIZ Media), pg. )
- "Here, cucco chicks! It's dinner time!" (The Minish Cap manga (VIZ Media), pg. )
- "They say that the Chicken Lady goes to the Lakeside Laboratory to study how to breed pocket-sized Cuccos." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)